PROJECT MANAGEMENT OFFICES ESTABLISHED IN-COUNTRY TO ASSIST WITH ENTREPRENEURIAL AND NATURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT SKILLS
Blue finance and partners can provide expertise and capacity building to local MPAs in the following fields:
• Improvement and monitoring of marine habitat health: sustainable fishing & tourism practices, water quality improvements, strengthening reef resilience, etc.
• Compliance and enforcement: development of enforcement plans, effective patrolling, pro-active surveillance by communities, informed rangers, etc.
• Community engagement and livelihood enhancement: awareness campaigns, creation of new income generating activities (primarily for fishers), etc.
• Support to tourism: MPA branding, UW attractions, visitor centre, etc.
• Management and revenue mechanism: marketing & business plans, user fee collection, innovative financial instruments, etc.
• Support Marine Spatial Planning processes: MPAs should have clear zonation for different sustainable activities. Zones might include conservation, recreation and priority fishing for example; with different management objectives, but all based on ensuring the health of marine ecosystems.